Thursday, March 22, 2012

Neal's Stand Tall in Georgia Guardsman

So I still haven't talked about Bryan's deployment. That's me, putting things off. However, here's a good reason to start. The Georgia Guardsman published a nice article about the 265th's deployment; this morning, one of Bryan's friends told me we graced the back cover. So as I sat at my desk eating my Frosted Mini Wheats, I looked at the back cover - wow. There were were. Then I flipped to the front and started scanning all the articles one by one, reading about the Georgia National Guard. Finally, I came across the story about ADTII - paired with it a huge picture of my family.

I lost it.

There we stood, staring at the bus Bryan was about to board and Jack clutching his flag that he held onto all day. Moments after this photograph was taken, we let go, I held Jack as he screamed for his daddy and Bryan boarded the bus.

Jack was too upset, so I got him out of there before the buses left. However, during my drive out of Metter, I watched in my rearview as my child cried and the buses followed me through town and onto the interstate. It's something I can't get out of my head.





To start the day, we had lunch at the Metter Armory. It was nice, but it just prolonged the heartache. The food, decorations - everything was donated to the unit by the City of Metter or other establishments.

From there, our soldiers boarded their buses and we met back up with them at the Metter High School where they stood in formation during their departure ceremony. My mind was in other places, obviously, so I didn't catch a lot of what they said. Following the ceremony, they gave families about 30 minutes to say their goodbyes. It was a somber setting - very quiet. Again, just dragging out the inevitable.

Here are a couple of photos from the ceremony.

Metter Amory; Nick in the front, Skyping with his brother in Afghanistan.

Metter Armory

Jack & Daddy, Metter Armory

Jack & Daddy, Metter Armory

Family Photo; Metter Armory

Departure Ceremony; Bryan, back right

Jack & Mommy during the ceremony at Metter High School. (unposed) 

My emotionally exhausted baby.


Slept all day.





No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...