![]() |
| Trish & I |
We celebrated Artsfest this weekend, April 2, and it was a HUGE success. All last week it rained and it poured and it rained some more ... I laid awake at night biting my fingernails ... please don't rain on the 2nd, please don't rain on the 2nd ...
Well, Friday morning the clouds parted and we celebrated the arts in the sun all day long on Saturday! This year topped last year and I have been told by many that it was the biggest they've ever seen. I don't know if it's because the sun was out or they were excited about the festival, but I'll go with the latter.
Artsfest received great coverage. We even made Savannah's WJCL's 'Good News' segment. I believe there is video somewhere, but I missed the news tonight as Jack and I were celebrating his friend's birthday.
Good News: Artsfest at Georgia Southern
The arts are alive and well at Georgia Southern.
Around five thousand people soaked up the sunshine and a lot of bright colors on Sweetheart Circle on Saturday for ArtsFest 2011. "It's a way to unite the community and the campus together to just celebrate the arts and have a good time," explained Stephanie Neal, director of Artsfest 2011.
Boys and girls dabbled in a rainbow of colors creating their own masterpieces at more than 20 studio art stops. "I see smiles on peoples faces. All the kids are going home with art," said Neal when asked about her reward on this big day.
ArtsFest started 29 years ago. The day is all about letting children explore their creativity and make memories of all shapes and sizes. "To be able to expose children to that creative development, it is very beneficial," said Neal. "It can carry all the way into adulthood. So being able to provide that is awesome. We have the most amazing volunteers. We couldn't do it without them. The majority are our art students."
Whether it be performing, pottery or painting, this tradition at Georgia Southern is all about letting children get hands-on and develop a passion for the arts they can carry with them for the rest of their lives. ArtsFest at Georgia Southern---now that's Good News.My limbs hurt, the back of my legs are sunburned ... we sold out of t-shirts and we ran out of food at the lunch tent and only had 1 major hiccup that threw the entire start of the day off ... another entity on campus scheduled a triathlon and their route cut straight through our festival, but more importantly our set up. But, a phone call was made, public safety took our side and the bicycles disappeared. (That's why I always give them free t-shirts & water!)
It all made for a successful day!

3 comments:
So very proud of you, as always - Mom
Way to go Steph! Sounds awesome!
Glad you had such a great turn out! Your amazing, hope you get some down time now :)
Post a Comment