Friday, September 24, 2010

MFA Biennial

I have been lucky to have the opportunity to be able to participate in so many resume lines since returning to school; I currently have a mixed media (not graphic design) piece on display in the 2010 MFA Biennial. I am honored to have work accepted into the exhibition - next to talented MFA painting candidates and alumni.



Last semester, I was challenged to create something about an experience, without using a computer. Before Bryan could stop me, I had taken over the shed with paint and wood. Never taking a painting class, I read numerous books about mixing paint, applications and whatnot. What came out of this challenge ended up being more than an MFA project, but a mental release from my previous year. I cranked up the music and worked into the night -- many nights -- on what I now call Family Portrait.



Behind the Art
Family Portrait
is a detailed assemblage of a tattered screen door, which symbolizes a home, and a painting. With the door closed, you can a see a silhouette of a family, true to size: a soldier, baby and woman. However, once opened, the soldier is gone -- representing his deployment. Left at home is a mother and her child.
Her heart is hurting and her legs are weak, sometimes finding it hard to get up every day. The painting represents this by texture, scratches & removed paint. I discovered different types of paint treatments, from building up texture to letting the paint just drip. Both being symbolic - growing stronger while feeling pain.

This story being told in this artwork is supported by numbers and months representing time. Silk screened up the left side is a countdown of random numbers, starting with the how many days I believe Bryan was gone, 398 -- including training. In red, sporadic months are listed - what the viewer doesn't know, however, is that it's Jack's growth chart from his 1st year; starting at 19" in February and ending at 32" at the next February.

However, the positive part of these piece is the strong bond that grew between mother and son. The place she felt most happy, proud and at ease was with her baby - denoted by an expanding blue area moving through a mysterious dark cloud.

The Theory Behind the Color
Placing these colors throughout the painting was all thought out and planned. Below you will find a quick cheat sheet to psychology + color.

Yellow is associated with hope, as can be seen in some countries when yellow ribbons are displayed by families who have loved ones at war. The combination of black and yellow is often used to issue a warning. Yellow also indicates honor and loyalty, while it has also been connected with cowardice when added with green.

Red is a very emotionally intense color; it is associated with war, strength, determination, anger as well as love.

Green symbolizes growth and also has strong emotional correspondence with safety.

While Blue is known for sadness, it also symbolizes trust, loyalty and faith. Blue is considered beneficial to the mind and body. It slows human metabolism and produces a calming effect.

As many people know, White is a sign of innocence and purity. However, Black usually has a negative connotation as it is a mysterious color associated with fear and the unknown. Black is the symbol of grief.









6 comments:

Mrs. McCracken said...

I love this. It is wonderful and extremely well executed! You are SO talented! and I am so glad that it is on display. Hope to see you soon!

Sharon said...

This piece made your mama cry. What a poignant example, Stephanie. I hope it's still on display in October. You are such an amazing woman, wife, mother, daughter & friend. I am so proud of you. xxoo

Alyson said...

Incredible Steph!! just amazing. Congrats on the display. Wonderful that so many people can experience it in person.

Soy said...

Sometimes art depicts life more accurately than reading a book or watching a movie...especially when the artist is so talented. I really love it, Steph...

Rick Neal said...

It's an incredible piece of work.

Bec said...

Wow Steph!! Amazing art work!! Great job & very fun to see! You are so talented!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...